NYS CTE Approval Process: An Introduction and Overview
The New York State CTE Program Approval Process focuses educators on the best practices to develop programs which provide rigorous academic content closely aligned with career and technical subject matter. Commissioner's Regulation 100.5(d)(6)(iv) is operationalized through the program approval process. However, this process helps in the development of new programs of study, as well as the evaluation and/or updating of current programs.
Join this webinar for an overview of the NYS CTE Program Approval Process. Over the next few months, we will revisit specific sections of the process to provide additional guidance for those who are going through the process. Future topics will include items such as:
- Planning a CTE Program of Study
- Organizing for a self-study
- Reviewing a CTE curriculum, including specialized and/or integrated courses
- Teacher certification
- Technical Assessments--things to consider
- Articulation agreements for CTE
- Work based learning experiences--what works for your students
- Employability profiles in CTE programs
- Planning for and implementing an External Review for a CTE program
- Completing the CTE Program Approval Application
- CTE Program Approval--presenting to the Board of Education
Presented by, Carol Zygo, a New York State educator for 40 years. Carol graduated from SUNY Albany with a BS in Business/Distributive Education and has an MS from SUNY College of Technology Utica/Rome in Vocational Technical Education. Her CAS is from SUNY Cortland in Educational Administration.
Ms. Zygo started her career as a business teacher in Ilion CSD and New York Mills UFSD. During that time, she worked for Southwestern Publishing Company as computers were being integrated into business education, mathematics, and technology. In 1992, she began her work as an Instructional Specialist with the Model Schools Program at the Mohawk Regional Information Center at Madison BOCES. Carol served as elementary principal for the Oriskany Central School District for 10 years, and was the superintendent of the Herkimer Central School District for 6 years.
She continues her work with the CTE Technical Assistance Center of NY, supporting Career and Technical Educations in Central and Northern NY.