This page is currently under review and revision. For the most current information and resources pertaining to CTE Program Approval please visit http://www.nysed.gov/career-technical-education/cte-program-approval
The New York State Education Department (NYSED) has established program approval process for secondary CTE programs in high schools and BOCES in order to maintain high quality instructional programs in CTE.
There are several advantages to becoming a CTE Approved Program:
- Program recognized for rigor and relevance
- Opportunities for college credit
- Proof of student’s competency at a national industry standard
- Student engagement!
- Real-life connections with career and workplace
- Technical Endorsement and student pride
- College and career ready students
- CTE Graduation pathway option only available through approved programs
- ESSA Accountability measures
- Opportunity to apply for Perkins funds
The program approval process includes several steps at the local level in preparation for submitting an application to the NYSED Office of Career and Technical Education. Approval is for five years, after which agencies must reapply for program approval.
This website includes descriptions of the steps in the process along with suggestions, forms, samples, and other resources to assist school leaders in this process.